9.30.2005

Figure it Out

I've been fascinated these last couple of weeks with the question of "why?".

Why do I do some of what I do?

Why do I feel a certain way (angry, frustrated, perturbed) when someone does something that I should consider as plain ignorance and let it go?

Why haven't I had a few discussions I know I must have to move our church forward?

I've spent a lot of time in introspection and have even gone out of my comfort zone to find some answers. Today's post isn't about all the answers I have found... It's more like the beginning of a journey.

I don't want to simply go through life and react.

Read a book, react.
Have a conversation, react.
Get offended, react.
Go to a conference, react.

I want to go through life understanding not just what I'm doing in the present but how it connects with things like God, My Future, My Past, My values, etc. I'm sure over time I've considered these concepts but certainly not for two weeks.

It's healthy for all of us to process some of the why's in life, to check our motives, to embrace our pasts and to pave the way for a new future.

Lord willing, in 2015 you will be 10 years older than you are today. The question is who will you be when you get there?

I personally want to make an investment in the Tally of 10 years from now so I'm going to consider more of what makes me tick today so I can be a greater leader, husband, father, child of God in the future.

We all are a product of Nature and Nurture. I believe that there is a healthy balance of the two at work in our everyday lives. You and I do things or react to things based on experiences in our past. Some of which we have embraced and other parts we've tried to ignore. Many times as leaders we don't have the "time" or the "quiet" to contemplate these things. Everyone is looking to YOU for answers and they want you to have it all together. So, you're either forced to pretend you have it all together or supress some of this introspection for another time when you're "less busy".

My encouragement? Be proactive. When you get bent out of shape or when you begin feeling nervous or insecure... Take a walk down that path. Find out what's up with your wiring that makes you feel that way. Find out if what you've embraced about yourself matches up with the way God sees you. Rob Bell (while speaking at Fellowship Church at C3) even recommended that we consider grabbing a counselor... He has one.


Romans 12 deals with the issue of 'transforming your mind' and considering yourself with 'sober judgment'

2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is; ?his good, pleasing and perfect will.

3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Now, I completely understand that Paul goes on to talk about how we look at each other in the body of Christ. For us to look at ourselves with 'soberjudgmentt' however, we need to be honest with ourselves and have a healthy Christ-esteem. Truth is, we all could use some time to consider our view of self and how it relates to HIS view of us.

No matter how you do it,n and questioning everything to the point of being paralyzed. I'm just saying...Think about who you are and what you do. Grab a friend to tell you honestly or just have the courage to face those things about yourself that you try to ignore. It will lead to a healthier view of you and a more contented relationship with God... After all, he knows every answer to your 'why?'.

No comments: