8.06.2005

Listen to Daddy's heart


Last night was a rough night for little Caleb. He was up quite a bit. His mommy only got about 1.5 hours of sleep. This morning I tried to help mommy out by taking care of Caleb and letting mommy rest.

I discovered something this morning. When Caleb was laying down in his bed or on our bed he would wake himself up with what seems to be a bad dream... he'd make some noises like he wasn't pleased and then begin crying. I remember hearing somewhere a while back that newborns enjoy laying on your chest so I picked Caleb up and laid his ear on my chest and his body out on my belly. What an amazing difference!

When I read about this the doctors were saying that the baby was so used to the movements and sounds of mother so they feel a sense of security when they can lay on your chest. I've also read that it helps the baby to stabalize their heartbeat as they sync up with their parents when they hear it.

An obvious parallel hit me. My 'daddy' is the same way with me. When I am away from him I can get restless and a little uncomfortable. I get uneasy. When I'm with him however, I can lay on his chest and feel his heartbeat. That makes me feel so secure. Is there any secret as to why God describes himself as our strong tower?

I encourage you today, no matter where you are or what is going on... lay on the chest of your father. Hear his heartbeat. Beyond hearing it... sync yourself with it. Make your days on this earth days filled with the passionate pursuit of the heart of God. (John 17:3)

3 comments:

Steve McCoy said...

Very cool, Tally. We have four and our youngest is 2, so I miss those days.

Anonymous said...

Still looking forward to being a dad... soon, I hope. Thanks for the great thought - I'm definitley going to have to steal that one and put it in a message someday soon.

I love the picture, by the way... too cute.

RMc said...

I remember those times Tally. Some of my most precious memories of my kids at that age is when they would lay on my chest, skin to skin and sleep - sometimes both of us. It is a really good thing to help mom during those times - and will help your relationship with your son develop.