8.18.2005

Liberty drops the dress code again?

My undergrad Alma Matre recently relaxed its dress code. Check out the LU Story Here.

I remember my first day on campus. I had never seen the campus and I didn't have a clue who Jerry Falwell was. I even asked the registrar's office for a copy of "The Liberty Way" to read. The lady at the counter laughed at me and said "you WANT a copy of the rules?" I didn't know that the required reading I was supposed to know was the rule book. Well, upon reading "The Liberty Way" I discovered so many things about the school that I wasn't familiar with. I learned that I could not have a T.V. until I was 21 yrs old. I learned I couldn't have facial hair unless I had a doctor's notice saying my acne was so bad that I couldn't shave. Most importantly I quickly found out that we had a dress code. I had to wear a tie every day!

After I got rid of my TV, shaved and went to goodwill for some dress clothes, I was fine.

I must tell you though, I fell in love with Liberty by the 2nd month. I arrived in January and my grandfather passed away in February. At around 3a.m. when I got the news my Spiritual Life Director came into my room (two students on every hall were there as sorta hall-Pastors). After he talked with me and prayed with me I looked back down at my feet and thought about my grandpa. I heard some noise at the door and sure enough another guy was at the door. Within minutes there was a line halfway up the hall of guys waiting to come into my room to love on me and pray for me. I felt incredible love that night. I felt the love of Christ.

Because of those guys I determined in my heart that no matter how much I didn't like some things I was committed to that school and to being a positive part of the campus. God worked in my life in amazing ways at Liberty. Dr. Falwell is an inspiration and his vision puts every other Pastor I know to shame for lack of size. He has made a large impact on my life and the people of LU have done the same.

Anyway about the dress code: Yippie for the current students. It's a wise move for the university's enrollment (they're trying to have 15,000 on campus in the next 5 years. They need to grow and the dress code will help.)

BTW: I know the girl quoted in the article and she was less than honest with the reporter.

She hated the dress code.

3 comments:

Kevin Payne said...

When I went there I knew the rules and was ok with them. I quickly learned there were ways around many of them. I actually had a friend who ran his nails across his face for a bit so it looked like he was breaking out from shaving. Sure enough, they gave him a "beard" pass.

Anonymous said...

I learned a great way to enjoy Liberty... distance learning. =)

Mitch Corn said...

You know I loved LU. I actually remember the night that your Grandfather died. Seeing the fellowship and pulling together of the guys in Dorm 10 made an impact on me as well. I remember calling my parents the next day and telling them how I had never experienced anything like that. It's good to see LU striving to take some of the legalism out, and striving for a more genuine realistic faith based community. Hmmm I wonder if this will help our football program? I doubt it. We always have womens basketball!