7.13.2005

Drano for your Sermon [part 1]



As I began doing some message prep yesterday I thought "Jesus is writing my message this week." It's just one of those times where you immerse yourself in the text in such a way that you feel like you completely 'get it'. When your talk just comes together so well that you have to keep up with writing as fast as the thoughts are coming to you. I compare it to basketball when you're "in the zone". With that feeling it seems as if anything you put in the air is going to go through the basket. It's a great feeling to have early in the week as you prepare a message. Sadly, that feeling isn't always there and at times we work hard to live up to pressure of hitting a clutch shot.

The hoop (goal) is the same distance... it doesn't move. What does change is our presumed pressure to acheive. When our focus gets off of the simple shot we've hit over and over and the focus shifts to 'the pressure' we can feel obligated to do more than necessary. What is necessary is to shoot the ball into the hoop. Often times when we do more than necessary we can ruin our shot.

As communicators of the gospel we are taking text that has survived thousands of years and translations and attempting to communicate it to the hearts, minds and souls of human beings. Our task is to communicate timeless truths coming from the very heart of the creator of the universe. The words we utter and attempt to magnify are the very words of God. I don't think I think about this as often as I should. Truth be known I don't think I'm in this boat alone.

God doesn't need me. He's God, he's not needy. I do know that God wants me and that's a pretty cool thought. The Lord of Creation wants me on his team and wants to use me to communicate with His people.

What then is my role?
Some would shout "Preach the Gospel!" as they pound their fist on the table.

I'd say yes... but what does that mean?
In a world of propositional truth battling with postmodern propositionalism we find ourselves paralized as to our role. Many in the ministry shrink from the big question at hand and simply copy what other Pastors say (and many times they copy poorly). We treat the communication of the gospel as a new movie each week or as a bed time story to some children we're babysitting. It's far more than that!

I may be speaking more for myself today than for you but follow me... What is our primary responsibility in this whole deal?

I believe it is to get out of the way! Our role is to drink Spiritual Drano to get out of the way of God's word getting to the hearts of those who listen. Our attention should be on removing more than adding.

You see we can hinder the gospel in two major ways.
1. We can blame God for our garbage.
2. We can steal God's glory in the name of 'preaching the gospel'.

to be continued...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"2. We can steal God's glory in the name of 'preaching the gospel'."

wow. that's good stuff. i can't wait to see where you go with this - thanks for stirring me up this morning, tally!

Tally Wilgis said...

I have an exclusivity endorsement for product placement with Drano so that would violate my contract. :)

praynlady said...

Tally, I feel like I have had a lesson today. Thanks. Not to lighten anything you've said but as a human being, I am a little afraid of the Draon, could I just use a plunger?

You are an imspirational writer and I pray that someday when my book is finished that God will use my words as He uses yours.
Amen

praynlady said...

Sorry, I meant Drano. Perfect example of the words making it to paper slower than I can think them!

medi said...

I don't know if this goes with your thought process, Tally, but I've sometimes thought that the best sermon or children's message would be just reading the Word of God aloud, without interpreting it or explaining it to others. Just let each person explore, mull over, and experiment with their own interpretations of the Bible.