6.23.2005

Encouragement

I've enjoyed the blogging world for many reasons but one of the biggest is the encourgement from like-minded people "out there". Just yesterday I got an email from a guy I've appreciated but never spoken to. Through a couple of breif emails we shared with one another the desire to get together soon. I have no doubt that I will definately make the trip in the near future to meet him.

I got to thinking about the encouragement I've received from blogging and how much I value those positive deposits into my life account. If you are in ministry (or if you have a pulse) you will at times feel like the world is on your shoulders or the eyes of the world are staring into your fish-bowl of a life. There will be other times when you know you just made a call that will tick some people off. Regardless of the situation you may get to feeling like toilet paper (used and drowned).

It's during these times that you should have some wells to pump from:

1. Just think "At least people don't know what I know about myself!"
I heard a communicator who put it in perspective by saying that he thinks this thought whenever someone lays into him and tells him how horrible he is. He says that he rests in knowing that he knows how bad he is and how much grace he really receives from God. When you understand that about yourself, people who rag on you will seem tiny and their darts will bounce off your chest.

2. Seek security in Christ. When I'm down I usually look up. The reason? I can only honestly get down when I take my eyes off of the prize. At least for me, discouragement can come from a lack of a God-enhanced perspective. So the next time you're down... look up.

3. Keep an Encouragement File. I have a folder in my office filled with notes and cards. I've placed in that folder the notes from people who have written me to tell me the difference I've made in their life and how God has used me. I have cards from years ago about events I've forgotten where someone was kind to me. I have little sticky notes that students used to leave on my desk when I was a YP just to say hello. Having a file to turn to reminds me that no matter how down I feel, I DO have support. Sometimes it's just not in front of my face.

4. Have friends! I have a best friend with whom I'm bluntly transparent on many issues. When I'm down I tell him (or he picks up on it) and he kicks my tail into gear and reminds me of how little I truly have to be concerned. Other times he lifts me up in prayer or even prays for me right on the phone. We've got a unique relationship that I find extremely helpful during times of discouragement.

5. Remember what discouragement is. The best definition I've heard is "Discouragement is the result of failed expectations." wow. So when I find that I'm discourged I almost always start by evaluating my expectations. I'm typically pretty good at observing whether my expecations are right in the first place. Many of us get bummed out over stupid things or we put unrealistic expectations on ourselves or others which set us up for failure.

There you have it. Get encouraged. Don't get down, don't have pity-parties. Just get back on your bike and keep riding. You can't get yesterday back but you can have a greater tomorrow!

1 comment:

RMc said...

Thanks Tally, good advice.