5.07.2005

We're Home! (BARELY)

It's late so I won't go into the great detail I am sure to share later but here is the summary of how our day went from 1:45pm until now (12:27a.m.)

1. Left NAMB, stuck in traffic (about a 45minute ride in an 11 passenger van).

2. Didn't have small bills (only had a 10 and 20) for the sky-cap who checked our bags (all 2 minutes of effort) and unfortunately he chose to remind me a polite way that he was disappointed in my not giving him a tip. (I generally tip well on purpose and I felt bad that I didn't have anything smaller than a 10 but he decided to let me know I was a jerk none the less. He said "Thank You for using Sky Caps to check your bags. I'll be glad to get this bag for YOU!" The words were what he should say... the tone and inflection was in a way as to say "You idiot! I want some cash. Don't make me check your bag unless you give some loot!" I felt bad that I didn't have a few bucks but I felt frustrated and disappointed when he copped an attitude with me. (no I didn't say anything, I just went into the Airport).

3. We got to the Airport at around 2:30ish and our flight wasn't scheduled to leave until 6:15pm. A 4 hour wait ...yippie! (We actually ended up enjoying the time as we relaxed and spent time talking to some of the other couples we met while at NAMB--- 1 from Tucson, AZ and one from K.C.)

4. Our flight: Literally I sincerely thought tonight we were going to die. It was the most fearful time in an airplane I've ever had in my life.
I'll quickly summarize: Flight was good (interesting conversation and witness to a guy next to me) but I got pale upon attempting to land. Yes, attempting. We came into a wind storm in Norfolk, VA. As we approached the wind shook the plane the whole way down. Literally I felt like I was on a very scary ride at an amusement park. (Think broken down 'zipper' at the carnival). The plane dipped low, dipped left, right, etc. It was so scary. We got just above the trees and it didn't get better and I honestly thought we were crashing... the pilot at the last minute stepped on it and pulled us out and back into the air... we flew around for 10 minutes only to come back in and attempt another landing... By this time I'm nearly losing it... I'm praying and my new Atheist friend with whom I was talking says "are you okay? Figuring I Passed out I suppose.. I said "Yeah" I'm praying... he said "Okay" (I'm sure at that moment he was cool with me praying :)

Anyway... The same thing happened on the second approach... It was so scary. Ultimately we flew up to Richmond (2 hours north) and landed roughly but better.

Kristy and I (especially Kristy) were so worn out emotionally, physically and mentally that we decided to just drive and not go through those emotions again. We got a car and drove down to Norfolk Airport. We arrived about 5 minutes after the plane (almost 2 hours later) and I saw a guy who was sitting near us on the plane. I had invited him to the church as well. He's coming up for 4.5 months to do some training nearby. I said "How was it?" He said "Not better....I honestly thought we were crashing.... The plane came in the same as before but this time the Pilot basically dropped the plane straight down and we landed with a very hard thump and bounced on the runway..."

Needless to say I'm glad we drove... We arrived right on time and our bags came out just as I got to the Airport.

We are spent. The last two days of meetings and interviews have been tough but this travel home was one of the hardest times we've had recently. I can assure you that I have learned so many Spiritual lessons through this experience and I hope to share some of them in the future. As for tonight "Thank you Lord that you have many plans for our lives and you willed for us to make it home safely tonight."

No comments: