5.18.2005

Double Standard

A girl at a Catholic school walked across the stage to receive her diploma even though she was not invited to participate in the graduation ceremony.

Why is this a big deal? The graduate is pregnant.

I remember taking my second ministry position as Youth Pastor several years ago. One of the questions asked of me is "what would you do if you had a girl in your youth group become pregnant?" I asked "What do you mean what would I do?" They said "Would you let her continue coming to youth service?"
Without hesitation I said "Absolutely! What is a better lesson on abstinence to show our students than to have one of their friends who has now lost her childhood sit in the middle of the crowd."

A few years prior while working as an intern I was made aware of a church who had a huge stink after the church asked a teenager to leave the youth department because she had gotten pregnant. Personally I think that was the dumbest thing the church could have done.

A few weeks ago my wife and I went by the home of a 16 year old who began visiting our church AFTER she became pregnant. She had visited my old youth department on and off a few years ago. The reason she began attending our church now? She's accepted. She knows what we teach about sexuality. She knows her situation is a bad one and that she shouldn't have gotten to this place in her life but she also knows that we will love her and begin teaching her how to raise her new beautiful daughter in Christ.

The double standard in this case: The father of this child is also a graduating senior at this Catholic school WAS ALLOWED TO WALK!
Every kid in that room knew who had sex with this girl. Because the boy doesn't have a big belly as a reminder of his action he is embraced.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Wow, I shouldn't be surprised by that story but I am. It's a pretty sad reflection of how we as Christians can sometimes treat people with the more "visible" sins. Thanks for posting that Tally.