4.30.2005

Talk to your Waiter/Waitress!

Tonight Kristy and I joined another young couple in our church at a restaurant in town. People who go out to eat with me regularly notice that I tend to get to know a great deal about our wait staff through various questions during the meal. I enjoy getting a picture of people and getting a feel for where they are coming from. By the end of the meal I usually share my faith or at least personally hand them our business card.




Tonight we were seated and quickly realized that the seats we were in sat directly in the path of a cool breeze flowing from the overhead vents. We asked if we could move to a nearby table that appeared to be away from the airflow. As a result we were given a new waitress. It was apparent to me that she was having a rough day. I quickly learned that she was working her 11th hour today.

As usual before our plates came out I found out a lot of information about our waitress. For privacy reasons I will just say that I found that she's hurting. Hurting like the other hundred or so people I passed by today while shopping (with whom I never held a conversation). She was doing her best to serve customers and put on her 'face' in spite of all the turmoil. She had desperation in her eyes as she explained one situation after another in response to each new question I had for her. Several times I reminded her that she did not have to answer and I wouldn't be offended... but she did answer. In fact she seemed to want to share her story.

Within a few moments I had a pretty strong image of her life. Hope (and a little anticipation mixed with curiosity) came from her eyes as I finished her sentences and expressed what I felt would be her story, desires and dreams. She said "You're good at this... Are you a counselor?" I said "We'll get to what I do in a second." She said "Are you a preacher?" I smiled and moved on. Eventually after talking some more I gave her our business card (intentionally designed to double as an invite card) and said to her "Listen. The reality is that you want hope. You've tried the same old thing for so long... Try something different." I then invited her to join us or to meet with my wife and I to discuss in greater detail some of her struggles (which are very real and unfortunately all too common).

We saw her continue to work as she thought of those words and her situation. She was crying. My heart's prayer tonight for her is that God would allow her to take the next step. I pray that I planted or watered (1 Corinthians 3:5-15). I pray that the Spirit of God would draw her near. I pray that God may give me the opportunity to share a story of victory some day stemming from the conversation I had tonight at the restaurant.

My Encouragement to the Reader:
Please take time to talk to people around you. Many are willing to share their stories... Without God's love people are broken and hurting with no sense of hope. You (assuming you are a Christ-follower) have the cure-all for their hurt no matter the source of the pain. Everything good is given to us by the blood of Christ. Please refuse to be defeated by a silent tongue. You CAN share God's love with people without beating the bible against their heads. God is a logical God and the Christian life is a life that makes sense... A life (when applied biblically and not according to tradition or outside influence) that is full of hope, joy, peace, comfort, love, compassion and healing. Please take time to share that story.

No comments: