2.08.2005

Real Estate Agents, Martha Stewart and Dairy Queen

Driving back from the post office today I made an impulse decision to grab an ice-cream sundae. I pulled into Dairy queen and placed my order. As I waited for the lady to fix my treat I got to thinking about Real Estate agents.

Real Estate agents basically show you property. They don't own it they simply describe it. Although for the most part you could walk around alone and see the property, a good agent will lead you to positive features and point out amenities the home offers (based on getting to know your desires). The agent will use words like a paintbrush and your ear is the canvass. Descriptive words like 'beautiful' and 'wonderful' paint a second picture of the home. The agent gets paid for knowing what is on the market and then making the right connection for you, the buyer.

Martha Stewart is another example of a person who has made a living of painting with her words. Yes Martha Stewart is creative and yes she gardens but that is not why she's a multi-millionaire. Martha Stewart is a valedictorian of the school of adjectives. You cannot watch her shows or read her magazines without reading descriptive elegance. "This flower has a wonderful and delightful texture." "Look at these candles, aren't they so amazing!" "How terrific is that scarf!"

Even my dentist has a hang on this. I recently had a wisdom tooth removed that had grown in completely. I joked with the assistant that I arrived to have my "tooth yanked". The dentist laughed as he towered over me with his torture devices and said "We like to call it wiggled. No yanking today." (BTW: I have a great Dentist and it actually was painless.)

And then there is an average visit to the local church. We (in the church world) spend so little time thinking about exactly what we're saying. We spend little time walking people through the "house of God" (figuratively, not the building) and we act more like demanding overlords than real-estate agents, Martha Stewart, or even a nice dentist.

Use words. Use descriptive words. Use beautiful, wonderful, awe-inspiring words!

No comments: