5.23.2003

Sunday, 18th
Sunday was a day of mixed emotions.
Service:
Our service went pretty well. We continued our walk through James and talked specifically about how:
1. We're the cause of our own Downfall.
2. God is the only source of anything great.
3. God allows us opportunity to re-connect.

I then transitioned the talk into salvation as I saw several visitors (and I usually include the gospel every week).

God was ready to reap the Harvest as 3 students committed their lives to Christ this week. It's humbling and exciting at the same time to see God move and realize that in an instant these students went from an eternity in hell to an eternity with God in Heaven. God is good.

Meeting
Without much detail...
A parent called me out in front of the other parents accerting that I was the cause of their student not having enough funds for camp and asked rather harshly 'what are you going to do about it?, are you going to have another fundraiser?'
I then shared the fact that we've had students already paid up and that most students who have participated in fundraising have done rather well. The full answer included the statement 'no, we will not be doing anymore fundraising after the 31st (car wash)... I won't ask my youth staff to pull another Saturday or weeknight. We've done well beyond what's necessary and we have no reason to add more on the plate of our volunteers.'
This was a rather tense moment but I believe I handled it well as several different families who witnessed the exchange shared 'you did very well' and 'she shouldn't have tried to do that to you in this setting' etc.

Talking to my friend John this week, he reminded me of a mutual friend we have working as an engineer for a major oil company. John said "he told me that he's never had 1 day where a person hasn't come at him about a problem since becoming a leader". Leadership takes a little more I suppose. God has taught me so much so quickly about leadership.

Sunday Night
Great evening with our Life Group of teens. We took the night and spent time encouraging and lifting up one another. It's refreshing for teens to have that opportunity. They're around so much negativity... it was a great evening

No comments: