5.25.2003

Reconciliation and Redneck Trucks
This morning was average... Beyond God speaking as he always does... nothing majorly exciting took place.

This afternoon I received a call from one of the testing parents I've had so far at Sonlight. After stern conversation the question was asked on her part "What IS your purpose... what do you do?" Although this question was asked in sarcasm and with contempt, I proceeded to answer. My purpose as a Pastor is to 'Encourage and Equip people to Know God'. I then shared that I do that throughout my week and my 'work-day' is continual. I don't ever punch out from that task. I didn't get into the small picture tasks.. (I could have awed her with how I make calendars, plan events, talk with complaining church-goers, filed papers, studied for messages, worry with sound equipment and games, meet with the SBCV, meet with the SBCV fellowship in Norfolk, Meet with our staff, meet with families who need help, meet with my students for meals, counsel students, grieve with families who've experienced loss, go to atheletic events, design our website, design forms, set up fundraisers, go to the store for food for trips, study for those trips, speak for those trips, meet with my leaders, pray (not often enough) and counsel with my leaders... on and on) but I refused. I simply stated that more important than any job description, what I describe as 'encourage and equip people to know God' is my life's mission. It's so much bigger than any camp, fundraiser, complaint, phone call... The sad thing is that I got the feeling that she was actually surprised that I am able to sum up and stick to a vision for my life. I think the perception is that I'm nothing more than a glorified and over-paid baby-sitter. (sorry... venting)

The reconciliation occured by the end of the call and I've committed to communicate more frequently when I feel there is a problem with their child and she apologized for the way she approached me the last time we talked. I honestly dont' have animosity for her as a person at all. I guess I have more of a bitter taste in my mouth for the over-all consumer driven Christianity that we've created. I can't imagine this lack of respect to Pastors was normal even 50 years ago. I'm tired of church being driven by the sheep in a one-person, one-vote mentality. Look in scripture. Aside from choosing the new apostle to fill-in after Judas... where is a democracy ever taking place among God's people? It doesn't exist. I'd even argue that the casting of lots we read about is not even as much democracy as it it was God's provision in the process. Men removed themselves and let the 'chips fall where they may'. I'm done on this topic...

I know you've read this far for the Redneck Trucks....
I thought I had left Texas. Today we went to the 'Strawberry Festival' in a town called Pungo. Yes, Pungo. No, I don't know where they got that name. Anyway... this is a 1 stop-light town with strawberry patches and horses galore! It was a county-festival type setting... the normal... smoke, food, music, smoke, food, games, smoke, food, salesman... etc.

I did have a moment as I strolled from the front of the 'Fun-House' over to the 'Bumper Cars' where my little sister was headed. I felt the Holy Spirit tugging on me to think about the souls of the people I walked around and brushed elbows with. I envisioned each one on the inside.... I saw emptiness, brokeness, lostness, hurt, anger, insecurity and every other type of dull trait. My heart ached. Among the Redneck trucks, smoke filled circles, and rusted-out games I saw Harvest.... the people God died for. I then asked myself... who's reaching out to them? We create our 'Saddleback Sam' complete with the check-book hanging out of the back pocket and then we throw on a tie or a seeker-sensitive outfit along with the smile and tell them how great our lives are. We build happy-town and invite people in... design logos including the 'family' complete with the mommy, daddy, 8 year old boy and 6 year old blonde-haired girl smiling in front of a oak tree with a perfectly manicured lawn. Then we say 'well, we sent out direct mail'... 'they must not want Jesus'.

I'm exagerating in case you havn't picked up... but I believe you get the point. Who's reaching them. Who is reaching your neighbor? How about the guy who'll be washing his car tomorrow across the street? How about your friend you'll have over for dinner tomorrow? We all must answer God's call. We all must be transparent to say 'I'm broken too. We're all in this Goodwill store together.'

John 3:30

No comments: