5.04.2003

James 1
1James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings. Trials and Temptations 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.


Today was one of those days when God truly got a hold of me while I was communicating. I stopped my message today at the first two points (of 5) that I had outlined for James 1:1-12. This was definitely not some 'great plan for drama'. God leaned on me and asked 'do you really think more talking from you will help them connect with me?' So I asked everyone to put down their pens and I simply stopped the message and reviewed the first two points.


As their pastor, I view my job as being the one who leads them to 'connect' with their God. I encourage you to stop and read the first five verses of the book of James and see if God speaks through these writings to you. My only two points today were
(1) Trials get joy
(2) Wisdom gets requested.

How often do 'mature' Christians get frustrated or even angry when facing trials? How often do tails duck between legs at the sight of something out of place? If we only really trusted God's word we would find that he has so deeply prepared our lives for this brief time we're here. It's possible that many people do not 'get' point #1 because they've never actually 'got' point #2. Wisdom gets requested. It seems traditionally that Christian 'maturity' credits are given to those with age or 'time served' in the church. I've found that this is far from the truth. Wisdom is given by God upon our request. I realized this week how I've applied this truth without actually realizing it. I've been told that I've given advice and wisdom beyond my years at times. I recently pondered this thought and come to realize that I have pleaded with God for wisdom in areas beyond my experience level or education. I often will request wisdom from God and if I take James to heart, this means that He has given 'generously'.


What would 'the church' look like if we collectively sought out God to engrave on us these two principles from His word?
(1)To live understanding that God is sincerely working through our trials making us 'mature and complete' so we can honestly have joy
(2)Understand that our wisdom is in a great deal proportionate to our request for it

No comments: