7.02.2005

Stand Like Lincoln

I enjoy all types of reading. I generally rotate between something to do with business, government, history, Christianity and practical application. This week I've been reading a great book on public speaking and wanted to recommend it to many of you who communicate regularly. The book is called "Speak like Churchill, Stand like Lincoln".

I was turned on to this book by my friend Ben Arment of History Church outside of Washington D.C.

What I love about this book is it's simplicity and pointedness. It's an easy read from a literary perspective and it makes practical sense from a speaking perspective.

If you speak regularly you will want to get this one. There are practical tips on how to write your speech, layout your speech, put together power lines (lines with a punch) and even gets into areas such as how to dress for each audience. The beauty of this book is found in the fact that the Author James C. Humes served as a ghostwriter for several U.S. Presidents and is an authority on the life and public speaking of Winston Churchill. All of us who speak can certainly gain great nuggets of insight from this book.


5 comments:

Gary Lamb said...

GREAT thanks. Will be getting it this week.

Anonymous said...

Great recommendation! I'll be getting that ASAP.

Anonymous said...

ordered it!

Anonymous said...

Tally, this book looks great. I definately want to give it a read when I finish the 4 books I'm working on now! By the way, thanks for giving my friend Bob Franquiz much respect on the "Eric" poster on his site. I also got hit by him on my site by (or her as I suspect) under my post 'Starbucks and Divine Moments-Part 1. I merely recieved the alias 'anonymous', hence my nickname for this person: Eric Anon. If you don't mind I am going to repost your one on proper blogging if that's OK. Have a great 4th!

praynlady said...

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I am homebound for now, I am doing lots of reading. I will check this one out and read it next. I just finished a very great and EASY read called Room of Marvels. The author is James Bryan Smith. This is a fairly short book and a wonderful read. It will make you laugh and cry with visions of heaven.