4.18.2008

Redemption

As I look forward to our next phase of ministry I continually find that I'm passionate about redemption. At the core of our faith is the practice of redemption. I'm finding that so many places, people and organizations are in need of redemption.

I know that its far easier to wipe the slate clean... but I find incredible value in transformation and change. Brokenness to beauty is more appealing to me than simply creating beauty from a clean slate. Both have value but there is a history, a story, an appealing attribute about taking what was once tossed aside and seeing new life breathed into it.

I think that's what draws me to cities. Cities have the marks of wear and tear. As you walk around a city in areas yet to be redeemed you can see stories. Stories of what once was, stories of pain, stories of hope. As I walk through a neighborhood I'm reminded of the thousands of overlapping stories that exist.

Another thing that keeps my heart beating for the redemption of cities is that there are people who are actively and quietly working to make their part of the landscape a little bit better. These are ministries you will never hear about and they work in places you would never ever take your family but they are our brothers and sisters in Christ. They are missionaries sent by God to transform their community. They bring hope, they bring Jesus.

My heart beats for these heroes of God. I long to see the redemption song sweep through their communities.

Some have asked me why I don't personally go and set up shop inside a city community. Honestly its because I don't see myself being the most effective there. I believe God has prepared me to be an advocate, an awareness-raiser, a fund-raiser, strategist and servant to my heroes doing the work. I wouldn't be as effective as I could be by copying someone else's work. I have found my uniqueness.

My passion is for redemption. My passion is for the Red Letters of Jesus. My passion is to build a ministry that will intentionally spur on the redemption and transformation of our nation's cities. It will come to pass.

Please continue to pray for me, pray for my heroes in the city and pray for our future as we continue to listen to God's voice.

1 comment:

Happy Mommy said...

We will pray. We think of you often, you and Kristy. God will lead you in his direction.