12.12.2005

Hearing His Voice

Tonight my wife and I were watching video of the first few days of Caleb's life through our handycam.

As we were leaning close to the 2 inch lcd screen, Caleb was sitting on Kristy's lap. We were watching the first moments that Kristy held Caleb. She was repeating his name and talking to him. I looked away from the screen and towards our son as he was smiling so big. I motioned to Kristy to watch. Each time Kristy said his name he would look even more intently at the camera. He knew his mother's voice... he smiled and he looked for her in the camera.

Although to little Caleb I'm sure this was just a freak event that won't mean anything in the big picture of his life, it made a powerful impact on my teary-eyed wife. I then began to think...

"My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me;" (John 10:27)

I don't know about you but I long to hear the voice of God. Sometimes his voice is so crystal clear it's unmistakable. Sometimes it's a little more faint. You know what though... I know it's him. Just like Caleb could identify his mother's voice without 'seeing' her face... I can hear the voice of my father.

Friends.... do we identify his voice no matter where it's coming from?

You may hear the voice of Jesus through your friends. You may hear his voice through critics. You may be able to hear his voice through wise counsel. You may hear his voice through your children or your spouse. You may hear his voice in the calm of the evening or the sound of birds on your back porch.

I don't know where you will hear his voice today... but listen because he is definitely speaking.

1 comment:

Kim Wells said...

I really appreciate this post today. It was very timely for me. Thanks!