10.17.2005

Kick yourself for being improved

Recently the buzz from Catalyst came from several bloggers about the ideas that Andy Stanley shared about "New and Improved" in session 8. From what I gather Andy was talking about how we must constantly tweak and change ourselved to keep people moving and interested. Always improving.

Well, a couple of months ago my friend John came and visited one of our services. We had just moved from a skating rink to a local High School. The high school is way too big for us and we looked like a child wearing daddy's clothes (cute but certainly doesn't fit). I've been considering a soloution including a possible 3rd move to put us into a facility that better fit us. The concern is if that would actually be an improvement and what would it say to our people if we actually went to LESS space. Well, one suggestion John had was in how we're using the space and how people enter. We've been (at the school's recommendation) entering from the back half of the school because the school has gates tha come down from the ceiling to block of the majority of the school. Effectively we can gain access to a few classrooms, the 1400 seat auditorium and the common area that is the cafeteria.

Based on John's suggestion and my investigation... we found a set of doors that are near the main entrance but on our side of the gates. With the Custodial's okay we decided to move our setup to the other side of the cafeteria (open space) closer to the front of the building so we can bring our guests in at the front for a much nicer entrance.

This brings us to this past week. I pulled a few leaders aside and set the course for this week to be the week we change. Although there was small hesistation there quickly became the buy-in and we made it happen. It was a great move. Not only is the front entrance MUCH cleaner and more presentable but also the walk isn't as long for our guests to get to the service seating and the change gave us the opportunity to tap on some shoulders and say "Get in the game".

This was the best decision we could have made.

So now I have two feelings this Monday afternoon.

1. I'm glad we made the change... what else can I change?
2. I want to kick myself for not doing this sooner. I'm not just saying that... I find myself ticked off that we sat how we were for so long.

Have you ever felt frustrated after you realized that making a change was such a benefit?

No comments: