2.14.2005

Same Store, Different Experience

Last week my laptop called it quits. Actually my laptop was okay but the power source to it had been worn down enough to where it began to spark (not good).

After finding out that most stores don't carry an ac adapter for a Compaq Armada 7400 (old machine), I traveled to Best Buy to buy a new computer.

The experience I had at the Best Buy closest to my home was pleasant. I was able to speak with a sales rep who actually knew something about computers and he was quite helpful for me. Several times he let me look at a machine after he answered the questions I had and each time he walked away so as not to be 'over my shoulder'. (It helps that they do not get commission).

Unfortunately when I decided upon the computer I wanted, I was informed that it was not in stock. I took the 20 minute trip down the road to the next Best Buy where I was assured my product awaited me.

This experience was completely different. The store was the same. The layout was the same. The employees were dressed the same and the same type of music was played in the background... But my experience was poor.

Unlike the last location, I couldn't get an employee to talk with me at all. It seems that this store is more crowded and has less staff. Even the manager of the computer department looked at me as if to say "Crud... He sees me." He then came over and said "How may we help you?" I explained my need and he said "Well I'm on my way to lunch but I'll see if this guy can help." That was nice except for the fact that "this guy" had a line of other customers. So again I wait.

Finally when I get to speak with "this guy" he quickly makes me wish the other store had my product. He carried himself in a very disinterested way as he talked to other employees about people I don't care to know about and he strolled along at a rate that would make a snail yawn. Ultimately though I got my machine. After turning down the extra $1,000 in junk they wanted to offer I finally made my way out of the store all too thankful that the good Best Buy was in my back yard.

Lesson:
You can spend tons of money to make satellite campuses or franchised locations look identical but in the end a customers willingness to come back to your building depends on your people.

No comments: